The need to locate a place is universal for humans. You would be faced with it at a point in time or the other. However, before the advent of technological tools that could help offer the needed help in locating places, individuals needing to find a particular area are required to ask, till they eventually locate their preferred destination. More so, in the case of entering a new town where you might be needing a place to spend the night, this could be an arduous task. You might eventually find a place to pass the night after continuous asking, and still, end up unsatisfied with the services.
It is widely known that the Geographic information system operates solely with geographically referenced data. Through the GIS system, it becomes possible to continually update, query and elaborate maps to give the desired information. One unique feature of the GIS is that it enables the administrator to tailor the map information to a specific data niche. Therefore, through a single map, various maps can be generated to suit activities. Many companies are today incorporating GIS technology to serve their customers better. A typical example is Google. Google has developed an application that gives real-time location information, called Google maps
Google map is a web mapping service that provides satellite imagery, aerial photography, up-to-date street maps, interactive panoramic street view, real-time traffic conditions, and location directions. It is currently being used by hundreds of millions of users in the world, and it is solely built on the GIS protocol.
With Google map, the trend of asking for directions always to locate a place has experienced a rapid decrease, as this app gives real-time information that provides the user with numerous options. For instance, if you need to locate a hotel around you to spend the night in a new city. All that is required of you is to open the application and follow the processes below, and the search is as good as done.
- On the home interface of the Google map app, there is an “explore nearby” tag. Slide the tag up
- An interface with several utility features such as gas stations, churches, hotels, groceries amongst others is presented to you.
- Click on hotel
- Google maps automatically read your location and perform a GIS operation called “buffer”. This action reads your location with about a 5km radius around it.
- The hotels within this radius are displayed on the screen
- The hotels are rated on a 5-star scale, to give the user an idea of their services
- The prices range are also tagged on every hotel with a picture of the place
- Clicking on a hotel of your choice, Google map proceeds to give you the direction to the hotel from your current location.
This saves you the stress of having to ask all around, and with more excellent options. The Google map application also utilizes the satellite data to give you the traffic information between your current location to the hotel of your choice. Notably, the approximate time of travel is included in the application.